(Brass Tacks Grammar)
How have you been lately? I have missed you so much since you went away. Have you seen any of your old friends yet? Have you gone to any of your old haunts yet? Nothing has been the same here since you left. I have haven’ t been able to get you out of my mind! I have walked all over town looking for faces that remind me of you , but I haven’t found anybody, yet, who has green eyes as lovely as yours. So far, you are the only woman I have ever loved. Please come back soon. I know that you haven’t been away for long, but I can’t take it anymore. I need you.
1. for 2. ago 3. for 4. since 5. for 6. since 7. ago 8. since 9. for 10. since
1. …got engaged / they have been engaged since the party.
2. came to Canada… he has been in Canada for a few months (note that we use “to with movement – come, go – an “in” when someone is already in a place).
3. met / they have known each other for ages
4. entered / we have been in our seats since 12:30.
1. I saw a robber (yesterday = simple past)
2. I’ve ever seen (could change = present perfect)
3. for many years (for = period of time)
4. have always treated me well (present perfect with participle (treated)
5. the sweetest child that I have ever seen (present perfect = could change)
6. haven’t finished my homework yet (could change)
7. Walter graduated …(definite time, “last” = simple past
8. Margaret has been a secretary for twenty years. (for = present perfect = she still is)
9. I saw Karen’s baby = two weeks ago = definite time = simple past
10. Sally has tried … (she is still trying = present perfect)
1. Judy has been in this town for almost twenty years. I moved here one year ago. I met Judy in an art class that I took last summer. When the course was over I invited Judy for a coffee. We have been friends ever since.
2. My landlord, Mr. Selzer, knows Judy. He has known Judy for many years. He taught Judy when she was in high school. Sh was a very bad student, according to Mr. Selzer. Judy often missed her math class when she was in high school.
3. Judy hasn’t seen Mr Selzer for many years. She never comes to my apartment building because she doesn’t want to see her old math teacher. Last week, we met at the Café Santropol. After drinking some coffee, we went to the Palace Theater.
4. At first, I didn’t like this town but now that I have been here for one year, I have learned to love this place.
1. Alfred has married many women. He married Rosa in 1992.
2. Rosa has eaten in every restaurant on Fifth Avenue. Rosa and I ate at the Blue Lagoon Restaurant last New Year’s Eve.
3. My brother has met several famous people. My brother met Bob Dylan at a theater in 1984.
4. Lately my girlfriend and I have had trouble communicating. Just last week my girlfriend threw a pillow at me.
5. Daniel and Julia have had at least twenty fights. Daniel is a big drinker. He has tried to quit drinking several times. At the moment he doesn’t drink. He has been on the wagon for about three weeks.
6.Mr. and Mrs. Arnold have been to New York twice. Have you ever thought about visiting New York?
7. I think Robin has acted in over fifteen movies. I went to his latest movie last Saturday. I read that he has appeared in several television shows.
1. Kevin has been a working artist for over ten years, but he has never been able to support himself by selling his paintings. He has produced a lot of excellent work, and he has exhibited in several galleries in both Montreal and New York.
2. Kevin received a scholarship to study at an art college in Vancouver two years ago. As soon as he got the money, he immediately flew to Vancouver. After his arrival, while he was searching for a cheap appartment, he met a girl called Holly. Holly found a room for Kevin in the rooming house where she lives. Kevin has lived in that rooming house ever since.
3. I have never met Holly. According to Kevin, Holly has skin the color of macaroni., hair the color of golden honey, and she is from ….One day Kevin noticed that a photograph on Terry’s dresser. In the photo, Holly was standing next to a man. The mans muscled, tatooed arm was around Holly.
4. Kevin asked Holly who the man was. Holly told Kevin that the man is her brother, Frank…Frank has been the mayor of the town for several years. About four years ago, a doctor removed Frank’s tatoo with a laser.